Monday, June 20, 2011

The "Dirty Dozen" and the "Clean 15" -- Pesticide-Laden Fruits and Veggies

I'm on kick to get back in shape / lose the baby weight / be a happy, healthy mommy for Lucas / and fit into my work clothes so I don't have to buy a new "fat" professional wardrobe by Aug. 11.

I recently read Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels and it really opened my eyes to the chemicals we put in our bodies that screw with our hormones and mess with our overall health and well being. It's not so much a diet book as it is a healthy living chronicle. This is especially important to me now that I'm a nursing mother and need to be vigilant about what I put into my body and pass along to my son.

Along these lines, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) just published its 2011 guide to the most and least pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables. Check out the "Dirty Dozen" and the "Clean 15." The "dirtiest"? Apples. The remedy? Buy from the EWG "clean 15″ list or buy organic.

Check out the list and get started on the roader to a healthier, happier, more environmentally-friendly "you" along with me!

3 comments:

The Nielsens said...

I read that peaches can be really bad, depending on where they come from.

Jenny said...

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. It's a crazy, dirty world out there! There are days when I just want to buy a farmhouse in Vermont, raise some chickens, etc.

Emily said...

I remember the last time this list was published, my mom shared it with me and the only item that stuck with me were strawberries. Guess I need to start paying attention to the other 11 as well! Thanks for posting on Costco's fb page about it, I hope they follow through! And keep us updated on any other tips or tidbits you learn from Jillian's book!