Saturday, April 2, 2011

Baby O: Punctuality is the Virtue of the Bored

My little one,

Early on during this journey, I was so afraid you would arrive early. I know my fears were just first-time pregnancy jitters, and as the weeks went on, they subsided. I grew more and more pregnant, and each doctor's appointment showed you to be very healthy and growing like a weed. I really could not have had a more smooth or healthy pregnancy, for which I will be eternally grateful.

Your original due date was March 27, but the doctor bumped it back a few days to March 24, since you looked a little big in there. Um ... today is April 2 and you're still not here! I already love you more than anything, and know you'll come when the time is right (I don't want to rush you if you're not quite ready), but if you want to make that time today, I would really, really appreciate it. 
Mommy at 40-weeks pregnant.
These past nine days have had me on pins and needles, wondering if every cramp, tingle or twitch meant you were on your way. I'm tired and achy, but it's not completely unbearable. It's the waiting and uncertainty that are making me crazy. I just want to know when you'll be here in our arms! (And to know when I don't have to be pregnant anymore and pee 20 times every night -- really looking forward to that one.)

I also am not sure how many more times I can hear "be patient," "enjoy this time with Morgan," and "just relax," without responding in a very rude manner. It's all I can do at this point to say, "Thanks for the advice, we're hanging in there ..."

One thing this "overdueness" has taught me is that unless you've been 41-plus weeks pregnant, never, never, ever, tell a woman in that state to "just relax and be patient." It's ridiculous advice. A better option would be, "I'm thinking about you and hoping you have a smooth and healthy delivery," or something along those lines. For me, sitting around waiting for my body to go through such a significant event is the most nerve-wracking experience of my life. The good news is that I already know you're more than worth it.

Now hurry up and get here!

Love,
Mommy

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Hahaha! Watch out, Mama O is about to go postal!

Asher in Action said...

Love this post!

Heather and Jasen Raphael said...

I love this post! :) I will say thinking of you and wishing you a safe delivery when baby comes! And...baby hurry up!! LOL

jenny goodman said...

Maybe you're in labor right now. Thats what crosses my mind about 6 times a day. Hope, hope!

Emily said...

Just enjoy this ... just kidding!!!! I'm on pins and needles too and thinking positive birth thoughts for you. I can't wait to meet this little boy who is going to be such a big part of our lives!

Missy said...

you forgot "hang in there." hehe.