Wednesday, June 23, 2010

TJ's Pesto Gnocchi with Roasted Chicken and Peppers

Next to Costco, Trader Joe's is my second-favorite store to shop for groceries. I eat TJ's frozen steel cut oatmeal for breakfast along with my green drink almost everyday. It's only $.80 a serving and is SO much better than that other instant goo. I love its chewiness and subtle sweetness without being packed full of sugar, but most of all how well it fills me up. I'm a hungry girl in the morning and you don't want to be within a five mile radius if I miss breakfast!
My freezer only has so much room, though, so I have to stop by TJ's every other week or so to stock up. On my last trip, I picked up a few things that looked like they would pair together well for a super simple weeknight meal. After one bite, Morgan said, "Mmmm, add this one to the list," which means we'll be throwing it into the in-a-hurry rotation. I hesitate to even call this a recipe, because it's really just combining four store-bought ingredients, but hey, we all need a few of these up our sleeve!

TJ's Pesto Gnocchi with Roasted Chicken and Peppers
  • Two cooked chicken breasts, thinly sliced (I roast mine in the oven with a little garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil)
  • One package Trader Joe's gnocchi
  • One 7 oz. tub Trader Joe's Genoa pesto
  • Two 12 oz. jars fire roasted yellow and red peppers 
Cook gnocchi according to directions, drain and reserve.
Drain, rinse (to remove extra saltiness -- I love salt, but these are too salty) and roughly chop peppers.
Return gnocchi to the pot and combine with chicken, peppers, and pesto.
Toss to evenly distribute sauce.
Warm and gently stir over medium heat until heated through.

4 comments:

Missy said...

This meets my high standard of five ingredients or less. I am definitely trying this! And pesto is Kelly's favorite thing. Yum!

Jenny said...

Looks delicious! Wish we had a Trader Joes!

Emily said...

This looks awesome and you can't beat recipes for easy weeknight meals. My new favorite TJ's find is their Brown Rice Medley - it has radish seeds in it which sounds weird, but it gives it great texture!

Megan My Day said...

I love the steelcut oatmeal as well! Well, I should say I did love it. No Trader Joe's for me this summer!