Monday, June 21, 2010

Season of Frozen Delights

Happy solstice!

Most parts of the country are experiencing hot-hot-heat (albeit not in Seattle), which means it’s the season of frozen delights! In our house, we’re just eating dessert from the freezer in an attempt to urge the sun out of hiding. It’s the first day of summer and we haven’t even hit 75 degrees. Yes, it’s true, we eat our sorbet with mittens and stocking caps in the Northwest.
I’ve always loved sorbet for its freshness, whole ingredients, melt-away texture and low-calorie goodness. Store bought, my favorite is Whole Fruit Lemon Sorbet. I checked out the nutrition and ingredients closely, though, and was really disappointed. For a half cup, the calories ring in at 140, with 34 grams of sugar, not to mention “corn syrup solids” as the second ingredient, followed in short order by “natural flavor.” Really? What is that, anyway? If it’s natural, why is it a secret?

Never fear — it’s super easy to make your own sorbet. And there are only three ingredients. Fruit, water, and a small amount of sugar. I’ve been making mine in the Vitamix, but also have made it in an ice cream maker. I’ll share both recipes with you, because I’m nice like that.

Three cheers for summer! Wherever you are, I hope your tank tops and shorts are treating you well. And I hope mine will be soon, too.

Vitamix Method
Fruit Sorbet

1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 pound frozen fruit (I love Trader Joe’s frozen dark sweet cherries — cherry sorbet with a little bit of chocolate sauce is awesome.)

Add ingredients to Vitamix in order listed and blend until smooth. Don’t overblend, or melting will occur.

Eat immediately in soft stage, or freeze for firmer sorbet.

If freezing longer than two hours, allow to soften for 15 minutes on the counter before serving.

Ice Cream Machine Method
Mango Sorbet

4 mangos — peeled, seeded, and cubed
1 cup simple syrup
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Place cubed mango in a food processor, and puree.

Pour in simple syrup and lime juice, and puree until smooth.

Place in an ice cream maker. Freeze thoroughly.

When finished, the sorbet will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer sorbet, transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze at least two hours. If freezing longer than two hours, allow to soften for 15 minutes on the counter before serving.

5 comments:

jenny goodman said...

I'm not warm enough yet, but can't wait until I am so I can try this! :)

Jenny said...

Thanks for the recipe! I recently made the Cuisinart recipe for strawberry sorbet and was puzzled that it called for 1/4c of corn syrup. It was way too sweet and I was going to try making it without. Oddly enough, most of the sorbet recipes I found online also called for corn syrup so I was wondering if it was a texture element. I mean, if I wanted the calories, I'd go for the real deal and make actual icecream!

Hillary said...

I think the corn syrup is intended to avoid the graininess of sugar and give sorbet a silkier texture, but simple syrup seems to do the trick and I would rather use real sugar, too.

Emily said...

Next time I see you'd I'd like to try that cherry chocolate goodness! Got to check out my aunt's vitamix this weekend - I'm 100% sold, just need to save my pennies!

The Nielsens said...

It is sweltering in KC - heat index well over 100 the last few days - these just make me feel cooler reading about! I think the kiddos and I are going to mix some up tomorrow!