Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Aren't the Bahamas supposed to be warm?!

"I’ve been away for so long, so long …it’s a nice day to start again!” Billy Idol’s White Wedding seemed like the perfect way to start this entry. It’s been nearly a month since I’ve posted and I’ve missed being here to share stories with you. So thank you for your patience.
I hope everyone has settled into a nice 2009 groove and the year is treating you well. We spent a week in mid-January in Freeport, Bahamas, and I’ve been scrambling to catch up with my life since we returned, hence the lack of activity here. Freeport is on Grand Bahama Island (most recently making headlines for the Travolta family tragedy) and is located about 55 miles off the coast of Florida. Morgan’s incredibly generous aunt and uncle gave us a week in their timeshare at the Taino Beach Resort as a wedding gift and we thought winter would be the perfect time to use it for a respite from drab Seattle.

We had a lovely time despite the much-colder-than-average temperatures (the high on "Bahama-Obama Tuesday," as we dubbed it, was only 61 degrees) and kept ourselves entertained by spending a lot of time in the hot tub (always warm) and taking the water taxi into town each day to shop, eat and drink. Oddly, one of our favorite restaurants turned out to be an Irish Pub, Shenanigan's! We did get one nice warm day and spent as much time as possible at the pool and on the beach.
Before we left, I did some research and came across a teriffic blog, frankandmeg.com, which gave us a really accurate portrayal of what we were going to find on the island. And since they appear to love food, I was certain of their trustworthiness. Upon recommendation, we had to try the conch salad at Billy Joe’s Conch Shack. It was definitely fresh (they "Conch Man" cracks the shell, pulls out the conch and chops it up on the spot) and had some of the best vegetables we encountered during our entire trip. The fresh lime dressing was fabulous, too.
I must say, however, that a few bites of raw conch are enough for me. It's very rubbery (if you haven't had it, think raw calamari) and the texture didn't quite agree with my palate. We both agreed that it was best suited as a side dish versus a main course. I was really hungry that day, too, and am embarrassed to admit that we hit up Subway afterward (mea culpa, mea culpa). I have never felt so shameful eating a club sandwich.
My favorite part of the trip was a swim with the dolphins -- something I've wanted to do since I was a little girl. My expectations were completely met the moment my dolphin, Kayla swam up to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. The water may have only been 70 degrees and the air 65, but I didn't want to get out! Unfortunately, we don't have any good pictures of the dolphin experience because I didn't want to ruin my camera (they like to splash!). The memories make up for it, though. I told Morgan that I'm looking into quitting my job and becoming a dolphin trainer. Hopefully he will move with me, because I don't think there are any openings around here ... I think he misses his pirate girlfriend, though, so it won't be hard to convince him to return.

2 comments:

jenny said...

Nice to see an update! Bahamas sound perfect and so does 65 degrees! I wish it would have been warmer for you guys though!

Emily said...

I think you should follow your dreams and become a dolphin trainer. And will you take me with you when you go?