Monday, January 5, 2009

A cure-all salad

Happy 2009! I hope you all had some time to yourselves over the holidays, filled with family, friends and good food. If you're like me, you maybe enjoyed a little bit too much good food. And perhaps you feel a tad exhausted; in recovery from the commotion instead of energized for the new year. I've discovered a little bit of a remedy, though. (Yes, I admit "discovered" may be kind of an exaggerated claim ...)

Anyway, here's what you do: buy a bounty of veggies and make yourself a big, yummy salad. Now, I’m a huge comfort food fan, but fresh vegetables somehow have a way of melting the frost that settles onto your bones during winter and providing a nice pick-me-up. They have a way of telling your body that somewhere in the world, there is sun, there is photosynthesis happening, and that there is hope for spring.

So break out the avocados and tomatoes and lighten up! It's going to be a great year, I can already feel the ice melting ...

1 comment:

jenny said...

How funny- I was craving a big crunchy salad last night... however, today I posted a recipe for braised short ribs- guess I'm not quite ready to kick the comfort food! Although, I'm not preparing to wear a bikini in the Bahamas anytime soon either :)