Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tick-tock goes the Thanksgiving clock

I am hosting Thanksgiving for the first time this year. On Friday, though, instead of Thursday, so we can spend time with both of our families. I am so excited I can barely stand it.

Here is my menu and schedule in all their glory. I love menus and schedules. Their ability to keep me sane goes unrivaled. This holiday was made for me!

--
Appetizer
Roasted-corn and hickory bacon gougeres; served with chive crème fraîche

Main Course
"Good Eats" roast turkey and gravy
Baked stuffing with cranberries
Smashed sweet potatoes with apples
Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
Green beans with caramelized onions and toasted almonds
Spinach salad with apples, blue cheese, cranberries & candied walnuts
Cranberry-orange relish
Rolls (guests)

Dessert
Pumpkin chiffon pie (guests)

Week of Nov. 17
Purchase turkey

Monday, Nov. 24
Begin thawing turkey

Tuesday, Nov. 25
Grocery shopping

Wednesday, Nov. 26
Make ahead:
Cranberry relish
Gougeres
Mashed potatoes (caramelize extra onions for green beans)
Sweet potatoes
Roux/broth for gravy
Salad dressing

Thursday, Nov. 27
Make ahead:
Brine turkey
Baked stuffing with cranberries

Friday, Nov. 28
Cooking Schedule:

10:30-10:45 a.m.
Boil water for green beans; assemble and refrigerate salad

10:45-11 a.m.
Boil green beans, cold shock & refrigerate

11-11:30 a.m.
Rinse, prep turkey

11:30-noon
Turkey on high; prep & set out appetizers

Noon-1:30/2 p.m.
Turkey on low

1 p.m.
Turn potatoes on low in Crock Pot

1 p.m.
Stuffing & sweet potatoes in oven

1:45 p.m.
Uncover stuffing & sweet potatoes

≈2 p.m. (when turkey reaches 161degrees)
Remove turkey from oven to rest, make gravy; melt butter & reheat green beans, toss w/ almonds; dress salad; re-whip potatoes

Between 2 & 2:30 p.m.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Missy said...

What time should I be there?

jenny said...

you totally crack me up! this is organization like i have never seen!! good job! sounds like a fabulous meal!

Emily said...

Just found out we're working on Friday :o( - is it okay if I'm not there 'til 5:30 or so?

Anonymous said...

I think that I would like to see you on Top Chef next season!
Melissa