Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pumpkin bread penance

I need to apologize. I know I promised you an abundance of Thanksgiving photos, but I got so wrapped up in my schedule and preoccupied monitoring how much time was left on the turkey, that I just plain forgot. Ooooh, it was good, though. I was brimming with pride over the success of the bird.

As Morgan was putting away the last of the leftovers, I realized what I had done (or failed to do, rather). What kind of food blogger forgets to take pictures on the most important food day of the year? I'll do better next year, promise.
As a small gesture of reparation, here's a really yummy pumpkin bread recipe. I made it last week as my first foray into baking for the holiday season. I looked on Allrecipes.com for the most highly rated pumpkin bread recipe. Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread definitely deserves its 2200-plus reviews with an average five-star rating. It's a really moist bread with a nice density (I prefer my sweet breads to be more dense than cake-like) and perfect balance of the four classic pumpkin spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! How many loaves did you make?

Hillary said...

I made three (one batch) for a charity breakfast thing at work. It went over very well!