Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The legend of Chef Missy

I thought of something really sad today. When the Seattle SuperSonics packed up and skipped town for less-green pastures (a.k.a. Oklahoma City) earlier this year, Squatch, the Sonics mascot, essentially died. R.I.P., Squatch.

Reminiscing about our beloved Bigfoot mascot got me thinking about other Northwest legends and myths, too. Things a part of me has always believed in, but never seen (or, in the case I am about to describe, seen very little of) in real life. Like my friend Missy’s remarkable culinary ability and Suzy Homemaker-like crafting skills.
To her credit, she says that she just doesn’t really like to cook, not that she can’t. I was starting to wonder, though, when I was helping her find a recipe for a dinner party last year and she specifically asked for something with no more than five ingredients. Well, Mis, the jig’s up. You should have never made that mouth watering pumpkin roll and decorated your party tables with such darling centerpieces — I liked the one you gave me so much that I hung on to it for three weeks! A rogue seed sprouted from the bottom on Sunday, though, and I think it may be on it’s last leg. Great things are expected of you now. Kind of like Brooke Burke being judged as a professional on Dancing with the Stars. Yes, your pumpkin roll is that good. I ate three pieces and am still paying for it at the gym, nearly a month later. So readers, if you’re looking for a dessert other than pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, this is a fabulous option.

Missy’s (or Libby’s) Pumpkin Roll

Note: This recipe is for a roll cake. Missy’s, pictured above, is a variation (another sign of true kitchen genius). She made two cakes, filled them and cut them into squares.

Cake Ingredients
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Filling Ingredients
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)

Heat oven to 375°F. Grease 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan; line with parchment or waxed paper. Grease and flour paper; set aside. Arrange clean thin, cotton kitchen towel on counter; sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Combine eggs and sugar in large bowl; beat until thickened. Add pumpkin; beat until well mixed. Stir in flour mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.

Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto prepared towel. Remove pan; carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake in towel while hot, starting with 10-inch side. Cool completely on wire rack.

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in small bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic food wrap; refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired..

Tip: Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel before rolling up cake so it will not stick.

6 comments:

Missy said...

Who knew the jelly roll pan was so important? Oops. I started calling them pumpkin bars, instead. Love the post! Thanks for "outing" me, lady. Someday in the distant future when my kitchen has recovered, I will make them again for you.

Missy said...

PS: Are you growing a pumpkin farm now? :)

Kelly said...

You should ask her for her greasy meatloaf sandwich recipe. Super good and satisfying, however look out for the rumble in the jungle the next morning.

Emily said...

Isn't that your recipe, Kelly? ;o) That's really funny, because I finally just tossed my pumpkin flowers that Mis gave me last night... it held on for so long! Glad you called Mis out!

jenny said...

These look tasty! I'm not much for pumpkin pie but this looks better to me!

P.S. what's with the delay between posts? not cool hillary, not cool :)

Hillary said...

I know ... I know. My life is getting in the way of my blog. :-) I am not a huge fan of pumpkin pie, either -- I definitely like these better!!