Thursday, August 21, 2008

Nectarine sorbet

I learned a couple things this week. First, when you watch an egg roll perilously toward the edge of your kitchen counter from across the room and yell, “Stop! Stop! Stop!” the egg will not listen.

Second, pouring a little Gewurztraminer over fresh nectarine sorbet makes me very, very happy. I didn’t have a lot of luck taking a great picture of the sorbet. It was prettier than it looks here, so don’t let the photography deter you from making it. Really refreshing and perfect to celebrate the last few weeks of summer (which make me very sad, so this helps ease the creeping autumn blues).


Nectarine Sorbet
6 or 7 very ripe nectarines
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. raspberry liqueur

Dice the nectarines, don't bother peeling them. The peel will add a lot of color and flavor to the final product, without making it grainy or lumpy.

Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for ten minutes.

Add the sugar, stir until it's dissolved.

Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.

Puree sorbet base in a blender until it is very smooth (I blended mine on high for about two minutes).

Pour through a fine sieve and chill very well, preferably over night.

Freeze in an ice cream machine for about 15-20 minutes.

When finished, the sorbet will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer sorbet, transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze at least two hours. If freezing longer than two hours, allow to soften for 15 minutes on the counter until serving.

The wine
2006 Three Blondes Gewurztraminer from Icicle Ridge Winery in Leavenworth, courtesy of Brian and Christie Lounsberry.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Yum! I guess I need to get an ice cream maker ... wonder if I can still add things to my wedding registry? Do you have any huckleberry recipes? The boys are doing a photo shoot at work today and we found there aren't that many recipes out there.

jenny said...

That sounds fabulous! I think you should fly over here and make it for me!!