Monday, August 4, 2008

Crabbin’ at the cabin

The second part of our week-long vacation was a stay on Samish Island. We had a ton of fun at the family cabin and caught a lot of crab. I made Morgan’s favorite, crab quiche. It was so good that even our friend Missy, who was so disturbed about boiling the crab that she set one free (and named it Juan-Carlos), even liked it!

This year I decided to try the Reynolds Handi-Vac to preserve the extra meat we didn’t eat during our stay. Upon first use, I’m pleased to say that it rules. I can’t wait to make Whiskey Crab Soup a la the Cliff House in Bellingham. Stay tuned for that recipe!


Crab Quiche

Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/4 cup lump crab meat
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 deep dish 9-inch unbaked pie crust (I use a frozen, pre-made crust)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, mayonnaise, flour, garlic powder, cayenne and milk until thoroughly blended. Stir in crab, cheese, and onion. Spread into pie shell.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Missy said...

I rescued TWO crabs. Be free Guido and Santiago!! I'm pretty sure Juan-Carlos was in the delicious quiche you made us.

Emily said...

I can't wait to be invited over for Whisky Crab Soup!