Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Coconut and Funfetti don't mix

For my brother Ethan’s birthday this year, I made the most delicious cake ever. Yes, ever. The Rave Reviews Coconut Cake. I got the recipe from my mom, who clipped it out of the Bremerton Sun in the early 80s. A lot of the appeal, for me at least, is the nostalgia. I remember no other food making my dad as happy as this cake.

It’s a simple recipe. The base is a boxed yellow cake mix (don’t scoff, it really does taste good), so I can’t claim to have slaved for days over this thing. Frosting it was a bit tedious, though. I haven’t frosted many triple-layer cakes in my life and it can be a little tricky. Especially if you eat half the frosting before you’re finished.

Ethan loves Funfetti cake, too. He actually asked me if I could make the coconut cake with Funfetti as the base. Since this is possibly the worst culinary idea he’s ever had (sorry, dude, it’s true), but I know how disappointed he would be to not have Funfetti on his 25th birthday, I also made him some cupcakes to share with his friends. As you can see below, I’ve been feeding him for years. I am such a good big sister (and I guess he’s a pretty good little brother, too).


2 comments:

Mom said...

Who are those cute kids? Looks like a nice big sister and a little beggar. Cutest kids I ever did see :)

april said...

Oh my flashbacks...
How come I don't recall the 1980's "B-sun" cake? I'm sure I would have experienced it at least 12 times...
It looked like a work of art!